Chess Stories: Everyone Jumps Queen

It might be a result of watching Game of Thrones or Star Trek TNG's Gambit episode, and every time I play a game of chess, I imagine the roles of the pieces, and a generalized storyline that goes along with the movement of the pieces, and watch how they cooperate in the endgame, and my mind imagines a basic logic to how people with the same roles would behave in the real world, and how that effects the outcome of the game.

As some will recall from a while ago, I posted the somewhat radical notion of an additional rule of chess to reflect the reality of life--in that chess be played not as a game, but a campaign of games, with each successive game played only with the pieces remaining from the prior game. This is how things work in the real world--you don't stop when you get the upper hand, you continue to another battle and get the upper hand again, and you do it with whatever's left of your army from the previous battle. That's not even just warfare, that's all of life.

So what kind of story can we derive from this basic ending? I'd say maybe a good start might be something about a religious leader who has very good relations with the crown, being able to put the enemy King in the wrong in the eyes of his subjects, having not shown proper respect for the friendly King's good lady wife, and a knight standing by to move in and protect her, but a bit too far away to do it quickly, or maybe the knight is busy taking a shit, and needs time to wipe and get into the throneroom before he can defend her honor.

That would be my bet, because I'm guided by amusement instead of logic, but I think it's generally just a lot of fun to imagine a story lying behind the endgame, don't YOU?

So what do you think? Knight jumps Queen? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

the-null-set

the-null-set