Be Kind

The highest state of philosophy is to be kind.

Some things are hard to understand for their complexity, but others for their simplicity. 

For all the countless trillions of collective hours human have spent in contemplation and sophistication of the mind, it all comes down to POINT. What is the point? If we see what the point of it all is, and we achieve that point, we win. If we don't, everything we say, think, or do is irrelevant and wasted, so it's pretty important to know what the point is--The point is everything.

Aldous Huxley spent around half a century studying and teaching philosophy at some of the finest academies in the Western world, and toward the end of his life, he made this statement:

"It's a little embarrassing that after 40 years of research in philosophy, the best advice I have to give anyone is 'Try to be a little kinder to eachother.'"

From this statement, I take it as a fundamental truth that the highest state of philosophy is missed by most because we seek complexity instead of simplicity. This is tragic for those who spend their entire lives in a state of preoccupied distraction, trying to constantly figure out how to improve the philosophical state of their lives, and missing the entire point of it all--that it doesn't matter how smart you are if you spend your life constantly being smacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for being a dick all the time. 


I take enormous reassurance from the knowledge that just by being kind, we can start our journey at the destination, so there is no journey, and we need no guide.

Obviously, we must impose limits so we're not taken advantage of, but with those in place, the simple habit of being kind, I believe, is why we get that ultimate sense of satisfaction when we do something nice for another, or a kitten curls up on our chest, or a child we raised to adulthood thanks us for doing well, or reducing the suffering of friends, or protecting those experiencing injustice, or the countless other forms that kindness takes, when given and received.

Evil men do not build catios.

It's not for me to tell others to be kind, and this isn't a sermon, it's just what I think, and you don't have to do everything I tell you, but I believe this to be true, based on my own experiences as well as the best advice and best practices established by the finest minds in the world, and it's how I intend to live.


I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that kindness raises us up, but I think the surprise is that it is selfish as well as selfless. There's a certain selfishness that is satisfied by being kind, and I think that gives us hope, no matter our state in the world.

It seems like good advice to me, so I'm going to go do that, but do as you like, it's your life. I would only ask that if you're really fucking stupid, that you try to think things through before being kind, because much of the misery in the world comes from misdirected or poorly considered righteousness--advice I will take myself same as everyone, by the way. 

Let's take a lesson from the Great Philosopher Gary the No Trash Cougar--when doing good for others, there is no substitute for thinking things through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the-null-set

the-null-set